Saturday, March 30, 2013

Disney Princesses

Guys, I always wanted to be a princess.  Secretly, I still do.  sssshhh...

No, but in all seriousness...here's the whole story.

I am the oldest of six girls.  I have one older brother, but wellll...I am the oldest.  Let's be real.  As the oldest girl, I had a ton of responsibility as a kid.  I did a lot of babysitting, changed a lot of diapers, and grew up a lot faster than any of my younger siblings have had to. I honestly don't remember when my dad started calling me princess.  For years, that was my special name.  None of my other sisters got to be called princess.  That was my thing with my dad.  Now, of course, he calls all of us princess, but part of me thinks it is because he just cannot remember all of our names and "princess" is just easier.  But I digress.

I wanted to be everything that a princess stood for.  I wanted to be beautiful, sure, but I had my dad there reassuring me constantly that I was, so that wasn't something that I ever worried about as a child.  But I wanted to be a helper like Cinderella, and I wanted to be brave enough to do what I knew was right like Snow White did.  I wanted to be courageous like Mulan and be able to be my own person like Ariel.

As I have grown, more Disney Princesses have emerged.  And I have realized that I still want to be like them.  I want to be tenacious like Rapunzel.  I want to be bold like Merida.  I want to be brave even when I am scared.  I want to chase my dreams like Tiana.

While there is much to be said about princesses, I know that one day when I hopefully have kids I will encourage them to be like princesses too.  Because who knows what other things those princesses can teach us?


3 comments:

  1. I loved this video! It is so cute! I love the new princesses and how they work for things instead of sleeping their life away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this video as well! I didn't even care about the fact that it's advertising for Disney; I just loved the powerful message it shares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great video. It made me cry.

    ReplyDelete