Saturday, March 16, 2013

Who Says

I just can't stay away from music.  I guess part of the reason is because it fills me.  It reaches a part of me that other forms of media cannot.  I love to listen to music, especially when I am alone.  Then I can rock out in my car or room and just...enjoy life.

I love this song by Selena Gomez because it was the first of its kind...at least in my generation to reach out to my peeps.  This song was such a boost for me during a time in my life when, well, I needed it.  Even now, when I hear it, I can't help but feel happy.

I love this song because it helps me remember that I am beautiful the way that I am.  I swear I hate this part of the semester.  It always happens that in at least one of my classes (or all of them) I always hit a point where we talk about eating disorders, then the influence of the media, then bullying, then the thin-ideal and on and on and onandonandonandon.  And well, lets face it.  I am fat.  Don't try to talk me out of it because it is true, okay?  And I don't get asked out on dates...I don't fit the "byu ideal" for what a girl should look like.

And so, I turn to music.  I turn to songs like this to remind me that I am good just the way that I am.  That my Heavenly Father made me the way that I am for a specific reason.  That it is fine to be me.  And that even if no one but me can see that, it is okay because He does.

And, well, so does Selena Gomez.


2 comments:

  1. I am glad you have the courage to blog about things like this. Coming from someone who was constantly told (and often resented for) I was the "BYU ideal" it is not always what it's cracked up to be. It's hard when you feel like people only like you because you are pretty and you can't seem to make genuine friendships. But in the end, beauty on the inside matters most!

    And I am glad that you can be inspired by music! Music really effects me emotionally as well. I think there are songs that speak to all of us in some way or another and that is certainly "noteworthy."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking a lot about this post and my comment above. I just wanted to make sure what I said didn't come off in the wrong way. The principle I was trying to illustrate is that the key to happiness is liking who we are instead of pining over what we aren't. The reason being, if we aren't happy with who we are now why would we be happy if we were like someone else? Because honestly, that "someone else" is probably wishing they were like someone else and it just keeps going. Everyone wishes they had something someone else has, and that is an exhausting cycle to get into! We are only truly happy when we see ourselves as Heavenly Father sees us and when we are grateful for what we have!

      Delete